Tear and Share
- 150ml/5fl oz whole milk, plus extra for glazing
- 400g/14oz strong white flour, plus extra for kneading
- 7g/¼oz sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 15g/½oz butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 15-20 sage leaves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 150ml/5fl oz water and the milk in a saucepan over a low heat until lukewarm.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the yeast, sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the centre and stir in the water and milk with a large wooden spoon. Gather
- into a ball then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover loosely with oiled clingfilm. Leave to rise in a
- warm place for 45-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onion and garlic
- over a very low heat for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Scatter the chopped sage over the onions and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove from
- the heat, season with lots of freshly ground black pepper and set aside to cool.
- When the dough has doubled in size, tip it back onto a floured surface and flatten with the
- palms of your hands. Spoon the onion mixture on top and knead for a couple of minutes until evenly
- incorporated. Sprinkle with a little extra flour if it becomes sticky.
- Divide the dough into eight and shape into neat balls by pulling the dough from the outside
- of the ball and pushing into the centre. Turn over with the ends underneath. Place the rolls in a circle
- on a large baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, making sure the dough balls are touching. Cover
- loosely with oiled cling film and leave to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 6.
- Brush the top of each roll lightly with milk and place a small sage leaf on top. Brush with more milk and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, or until risen and golden-brown.